There has been considerable interest in how to promote emotional health and wellness among specific refugee groups such as children and youth or LGBTQ populations.
New videos December 2022
- « Laissés dans l’inconnu d’être pris dans la maison avec les enfants ». Isolement familial en contexte de COVID-19 : défis et interventions auprès des familles réfugiées au Québec
Mehdi Azri, assistant de recherche CERDA, Mélanie M. Gagnon, Ph.D. psychologie, cheffe d’équipe CERDA et praticienne-chercheure IU-SHERPA
Decembre 13, 2022
Youth and children
- Implementation research on impact of family loss and separation on refugee youth
Dr. Akm Alamgi, Manager, Quality and Accountability Systems; and Scientist, Research and Evaluation Department of Access Alliance, December 15, 2021.
- Rethinking how schools might better include the parents of recently-arrived refugee children and youth
Dr. Jerome Cranston, Professor and Dean, Faculty of Education, University of Regina, Wednesday August 21st, 2019.
- Supporting newcomer children’s wellbeing through creativity and play
Vanessa Currie, Executive Director of the International Institute for Child Rights and Development, Dr. Kathleen Manion, Associate Professor at Royal Roads University, and Laura Wright, Professional Practitioner and Research Consultant, May 28th, 2019.
- Promouvoir la résilience identitaire des enfants immigrants et réfugiés
Dre Ghayda Hassan, Psychologue Clinicienne/ Professeure, Université de Québec à Montréal (UQAM), Mardi, 30 Avril 2019.
- Use of the emergency department as a first point of contact for mental health care by immigrant youth in Canada
Dr. Natasha Saunders, Clinician-Investigator, Division of Pediatric Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, February 26th, 2019.
- Innovation in Child Welfare: Introducing the Child Welfare Immigration Centre of Excellence
Liz Okai and Danielle Ungara, Team Leaders, Child Welfare Immigration Centre of Excellence, November 21, 2018.
- Being a refugee and victim of domestic violence: Towards an intersectional understanding of the duality of the experience of violence
Ghayda Hassan, PhD, psychologist and professor, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM), June 20, 2018.
- Comprendre les deuils des jeunes réfugiés afin de mieux les accompagner
Dre. Garine Papazian-Zohrabian, membre de l’Ordre des psychologues du Québec, Le 18 Mai 2017.
- Vulnerable sector settlement services: Best practices promoting resilience with Syrian refugee children & youth
Kathryn Khan, B.Ed., manager of Child and Youth Settlement and Fadi Hamdan, BSc., youth outreach coordinator; both of the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth, Mar. 22, 2017.
- Helping Syrian refugee children cope: Providing psycho-educational support
Ghayda Hassan, PhD, psychologist and professor, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM), Feb. 27, 2017.
- A Gender-Based Violence Settlement Sector Strategy - Working Together Across Canada
Erin Whitmore, Executive Director, Ending Violence Association (EVA) of Canada; Kathryn Bates-Khan, Project Manager, Gender-Based Violence Project, YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth; Valérie Auger-Voyer, Strategic Engagement Coordinator EVA Canada; Nina Condo, Executive Director, Elmwood Community Resource Centre; Maria Alvarado, Counselor, Elmwood Community Resource Centre; Margarita Pintin-Perez, Senior Coordinator, End Gender-Based Violence, OCASI. February 8th, 2022.
- "Together Apart" - Bridging the Gaps
Amy Deschamps, Manager of Transitional Housing, YWCA Hamilton and Renee Hall, VAW Counsellor, YWCA Hamilton, July 23rd, 2020.
- Newcomer young men: Tips for engagement in social and recreational programming
Burke Brokenshire, Child and Youth Programs Coordinator (Acting), Association for New Canadians, November 13th, 2019.
- Every Woman Matters!
Notisha Massaquoi, Executive Director, Women’s Health in Women’s Hands, January 30th, 2019.
- Syrian transgender refugees: Introduction to factors affecting wellness
Vince Pietropaolo, MA, General Manager, Mental Health Services Program, COSTI Immigrant Services, June 16, 2017.
- Anti-racist and anti-oppression approaches when working with immigrants and refugees
Stefanie Cali (Education Specialist, Office of Health Equity, Center for Addiction and Mental Health) and Leo Edwards PhD, RSW (Senior Diversity and Equity Consultant, CAMH)
- Les conséquences de la haine et de l'extrémisme violent sur les communautés racialisées et minoritaires
Dr. Ghayda Hassan, PhD, psychologue et professeur, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- War in Ukraine. Exploring Mental Health Supports for Ukrainian Displaced People coming to Canada, and Service Providers
Dr. Yuliya Knyahnytska, MD, PhD Clinician-Scientist and Staff Psychiatrist, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto
- Supporting the mental health and resettlement of Afghan refugees
Hamidullah Akbari, Registered Psychotherapist, New Beginnings Clinic, CAMH, and Asma Sleihat, Registered Clinical Social Worker, New Beginnings Clinic, CAMH. February 22nd, 2022
- Survivors of Daesh genocide: The physical and mental health conditions of resettled Yazidi refugees and implications for best practice
Nour Hassan, BHSc (Hons), Research Assistant with Refugee Health YYC Research Program at the University of Calgary's O'Brien Institute for Public Health, November 23rd, 2021.
- Working with newcomer seniors and their mental health issues
Baldev Mutta, Founder and CEO of Punjabi Community Health Services, June 10th, 2020.
- Studying migration with an occupational science lens
with Atieh Razavi Yekta and Anne-Cécile Delaisse, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, University of British Columbia, July 14th, 2021.
- Supporting the mental health of refugee claimants
with Jill Edgington Kirby, Program Manager, Centre for Refugee Resilience, CCIS and Sherri Shergill, MA, CCC, Clinical Supervisor for the Centre for Refugee Resilience, May 18th, 2021.
- Reducing health care barriers for uninsured clients without OHIP
Rebecca Cheff, Researcher, Wellesley Institute, September 30th, 2020. (Hosted in partnership with HEIA).
- Myth Busting the Interim Federal Health Program
Kathryn Jarrett-Ekholm, Director of Health Program Integrity and Control, IRCC and Michael Mackinnon, Senior Director of Migration Health Policy and Partnerships, IRCC, March 22nd, 2019.
- Shame and Aberoo: Understanding mental health stigma in the Middle Eastern community
Poran Poregbal, MA, RSW, RCC, group therapist, Cross Cultural Clinic, Vancouver General Hospital, Dec. 6th, 2017.
- Supporting Armenian Syrian refugees: Unique needs and challenges
Jeanette Gevikoglu, BA, LLM, board member, and Maida Icliates, BSc, founder, Armenian Family, Nov. 15th, 2017.
- Strategies to support the settlement and integration of immigrants and refugees with disabilities
Yahya El-Lahib, MSW, PhD, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social Work, University of Calgary, Oct. 25th, 2017.
- Refugees with mental illness: IRB guidelines for the refugee determination process
Preeti Adhopia, MA, Board Member, Immigration & Refugee Board (IRB) of Canada, Aug. 16th, 2017.