- Intended For
Individuals at risk of being unfit to stand trial or who pursue a not criminally responsible defence.
- Additional Referral Details
Referrals are made by Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services Health Care staff at the host facility.
- Services Offered As:
- Additional Location Details:
The Toronto South Detention Centre, 160 Horner Avenue, Toronto, ON | The Vanier Centre for Women, 655 Martin Street, Milton, ON
- Contact Phone Number:
- More Contact Details:
Tanya Connors, Manager: ext. 31915 | Yvonne Hinds, Administrative Secretary: 36022 | Carlos Chavez, Administrative Secretary: ext. 31916
Types of Treatment and Services Offered
- Ongoing assessment for individuals
- Recommendation and follow-up care
The service is a result of collaboration between CAMH, the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC). Our team consists of members of the following professions: social work, occupational therapy, nursing, psychology and psychiatry.
Any inmate can be referred for an assessment with FEIS. Clients must consent to meet with FEIS, as it is a voluntary service. Once FEIS has conducted an assessment, recommendations about follow-up care will be provided to the MCSCS health care team. Not all individuals who receive an assessment will be eligible for ongoing FEIS involvement. Those who do not meet the inclusion criteria will be referred back to mental health services in the MCSCS along with consultation recommendations.
FEIS Inclusion Criteria
FEIS will provide ongoing assessment and support to individuals who:
- are at risk of being unfit to stand trial
- may choose to pursue a not criminally responsible defence.
For individuals who meet the FEIS inclusion criteria, we can:
- conduct psychiatric assessment and offer treatment recommendations
- visit and provide ongoing support while client is at the MCSCS facility
- support clients in their preparation for court appearances
- communicate with client’s lawyer and family
- provide client’s family with resources and support
- connect with client’s other community supports
- work with MCSCS staff and partner agencies to facilitate discharge plans.