My Refugee Claim is a national, public legal education information resource designed for refugee claimants so they can be informed about Canada’s refugee protection process, stay connected to people who can help, and be prepared every step of the way.
- Audience: Refugee claimants, settlement/community service providers, lawyers/legal representatives
- Population of Interest: Refugee claimants
- The Need: The complexity of the refugee protection system, coupled with a lack of accessible public legal education information, often results in uncertainty and anxiety for refugee claimants.
- What's Promising: My Refugee Claim provides two resources, an Orientation Booklet and a website, that are designed to be national in scope, while being accurate to regional realities, discoverable and accessible, and designed with and for refugee claimants.
- Key Takeaway: My Refugee Claim optimizes the strategic impact of printable materials and the reach of a mobile-friendly website to meet the information, connectivity, and preparation needs of people seeking refugee protection in Canada.
Question: What is My Refugee Claim and why was it developed?
Answer: My Refugee Claim is a national public legal education information resource designed for refugee claimants to get informed about Canada’s refugee protection process, stay connected to people who can help, and be prepared every step of the way.
Refugee claimants are a significantly under-resourced population. With over 70,000 refugee claimants projected to arrive in Canada in 2022, the need for support will only grow.
The refugee protection system is complex and complicated. We heard from refugee claimants that they get lost in the process, and are burdened with questions such as: How do I start a refugee claim? Who can help me? Where am I in the process? How long will this take? What happens next? What happens if my refugee claim is not accepted?
My Refugee Claim aims to fulfill this need by being national in scope, while being accurate to regional realities, discoverable and accessible, and designed with and for refugee claimants.
This is intended for refugee claimants to use, to get informed, connected and prepared. Settlement/community workers, lawyers and legal representatives can use these resources as they accompany refugee claimants throughout their journey.
Question: Who developed My Refugee Claim?
Answer: My Refugee Claim was developed by Kinbrace Community Society, alongside national, regional and creative partners, including those with lived experience, who played an essential role in this project. Visit the website for more information.
Question: What are its features?
Answer: My Refugee Claim consists of two resources:
Orientation Booklet: This 28-page illustrated booklet provides an overview of Canada’s protection process and helps refugee claimants locate and orient themselves throughout their journey. It also serves as a workspace to check-off completed tasks, and to record important dates/deadlines and contact information. The Booklet contains QR codes that lead to detailed information on myrefugeeclaim.ca.
The Booklet is currently available as a downloadable PDF that can be printed for use. The goal is to have printed copies at key first points of contact for refugee claimants, such as ports of entry.
Access the Orientation Booklet.
Website: This is designed to provide a clear understanding of refugee law and to break down the complexity of the refugee protection system into comprehensible steps. Detailed information helps refugee claimants locate where they are in the process, understand their responsibility, and prepare for what is next.
The website is currently only available in English. The goal is to have the website translated into 12 languages based on need.
When was it launched and what has been the response so far? What has been its successes thus far?
Since being launched on October 12th, 2022, to November 16th, 2022, the website has 2,200 new users, 283 downloads of the Orientation Booklet, 103 refugee claimants and 26 service providers have registered for a Ready Tour.