On Demand (eLearning)
This course is suggested as a preparatory course for the Concurrent Disorders Certificate Program.
This 8-week, self-directed course aims to help learners further their understanding of addictive behaviour, which in the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual includes both substances use issues and problem gambling. We present the biopsychosocial plus (BPS+) model of addiction, which provides a multidimensional way of understanding this complex field.
The main themes in this course include:
- social determinants of health
- harm reduction
- screening and assessment
- legal issues and ethical considerations.
This course covers key concepts and frameworks in the field of addictions and addiction services. It is intended to familiarize course participants to these concepts at an introductory level. The goal is to balance an emphasis on substance-related and behavioural addictions and to discuss the commonalities between the two. As such, different types of drugs and other substances, their effects, and the different approaches to treatment are presented briefly throughout the course. While this course presents an overview to the topic of addiction, specifically substance use and gambling issues, it also makes reference to mental health issues and to concurrent disorders.
After successfully completing this course, learners will be able:
- recognize the key characteristics of addiction and theories of its causes
- discuss the social determinants of health, diversity and cultural competence
- explain trauma-informed practice and recovery-oriented care
- describe the BPS+ model and the reasons for this multidimensional approach to addiction
- identify key concepts in harm reduction and related strategies
- describe screening and assessment processes
- describe common types of treatment and guidelines for practice
- interpret legal and ethical principles governing assessment, treatment and the therapeutic relationship.
This course includes instructional activities throughout, including case scenarios, interactive review quizzes and embedded self-reflection questions to help link content to practice.
Certification and Accreditation
Continuing Professional Development has awarded Fundamentals of Addiction with the following credits:
- College of Family Physicians of Canada Mainpro+ (1 credit/hour) Self-Learning: 12.0 credits
To receive a letter of completion for this course, you are expected to:
- read all the course content
- log in to the course regularly (at least once or twice a week)
- complete each week's activities, as outlined in the schedule (self-reflection questions embedded within the modules are not assessed).
Please note: This course requires you to use an internet browser, but the system does not support Microsoft Internet Explorer. Instead, use one of the following:
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
For more details, please read the browser and compatibility support page.