There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course aims to present a framework for providing maintenance treatment for opioid use disorder with buprenorphine, including its use in a primary care setting. The course walks the learner through the key elements of selecting, preparing, initiating and maintaining a patient with opioid use disorder on buprenorphine treatment. A blend of narrative text, video role-plays, short answer and multiple choice questions frame the course. Excerpts and recommendations are embedded from the CAMH publication, Buprenorphine/Naloxone for Opioid Dependence: Clinical Practice Guideline.
- Outline the evidence supporting buprenorphine as a first line opioid agonist, for opioid use disorder treatment.
- Prior to beginning their treatment, diagnose patients for opioid use disorder based on the DSM-5 criteria
- Prior to beginning their treatment, assess patients for concurrent conditions that may be affecting treatment with buprenorphine.
- Determine the best evidence based treatment course for the patient's context and values.
- Achieve safe and effective patient induction onto buprenorphine in an ambulatory setting.
- Manage opioid overdoses in the ambulatory setting.
- Manage the maintenance stage of buprenorphine treatment in the ambulatory setting with safe, “client-centred care."
Online, self-paced. This online course requires you to use an internet browser, the system does not support Microsoft Internet Explorer. For more details, please read the browser and compatibility support page.
Certification and Accreditation
Participants interested in obtaining a Certificate in Opioid Dependence Treatment must complete the Opioid Use Disorder Treatment (OUDT) course plus three or four elective courses to meet the certificate requirement of a total of 39 or more hours.
This course is accredited for:
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada - 13.5 Mainpro+ credits
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons - 13.5 Section 1 hours
Affiliations and Partnerships
University of Toronto
Please review the cancelation policy.