We’re now entering the fourth and final phase of our historic redevelopment. This phase, also known as 1D, will include two new CAMH buildings on our Queen Street site:
- The Secure Care and Recovery Building: to replace existing facilities for patients with complex mental illness who have encountered the legal system. This building will be located on the south section of the site in the spot of the Paul Christie Community Centre;
- The Research & Discovery Centre: a state-of-the-art facility to house all of our groundbreaking research work. This building will be located on the southeast corner of the site where the surface level parking lot currently is.
We currently are in the Early Works phase of 1D. This includes design work, planning, municipal approvals, and renovating spaces for displaced teams and services to move to. Through this process we will improve the new locations and spaces of the services being relocated. Teams and people who will be impacted by these changes were thoroughly consulted during the planning phase, and were able to contribute to the design of their incredible new spaces.
By the end of Summer 2023, the new spaces for all teams and services will be complete and ready for them to move in. The Community Centre will then be demolished so that groundbreaking for our two new buildings can start.
You can find the most up to date information about 1D Redevelopment on Insite and camh.ca/neighbours. If you have any questions or concerns please send a note to email@example.com.
Here are the estimated construction timelines for the 1D Early Works. The teams are working hard to keep to this schedule, but it is subject to change. There will be hoarding and fencing around some work areas to keep the space safe during construction.
- 10 White Squirrel Way (West Wing)
The Redevelopment office, IT department, and the George Brown College Daycare will be moving to this space from the Community Centre. Work will include Interior demolition, renovations, and exterior landscaping.
Duration: July 2022 - July 2023
- 60 White Squirrel Way
The Indigenous ceremonial grounds will be moving to the backyard of this space from their old home behind the West Wing. Work will include landscaping in the backyard space behind the building and hoarding near Garfinkle park.
Duration: September 2022 - April 2023
- 100 Stokes Street, room 2131
The Health & Wellness Centre will be moving to this space. Work will include renovations to the room to transform it into a new gym with equipment and proper flooring.
Duration: February - April 2023
- 101 Stokes Street, old Student Centre
The Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office (PPAO) will be moving to this space. Work will include renovations of the space to transform it into a new office.
Duration: March - May 2023
- 1051 Queen Street West, Room 1703
Out of This World (OTW) Café will be moving their operations here from the cafeteria. Work will include renovations to the space so it can function as a cafe.
Duration: November 2022 - March 2023
- 1025 Queen Street West, Fourth floor
This space will be used as temporary furniture storage.
Duration: January - March 2023
- 100 Stokes Street, Ground floor
The outpatient pharmacy will be moving their operations to this new space. Work will include renovations in the former Family Resource Centre to prepare for the new pharmacy.
Duration: October 2022 - April 2023
A map of our site with the two new building locations can be found below and as a downloadable PDF here.